2/25/12

Isn't it funny

I honestly don't know what has come over me, but I've written more in the last twenty four hours than I think ever in my life.

My thoughts have never flowed so fluidly as they have of late. I think it's because I've been reading a lot more and because I've turned so many thoughts over in my own head, and also had some really nice discussions with people, I've been able to quickly put thoughts to paper (well, digital paper) and really deconstruct not only what's been bugging me lately but the entire philosophy behind these things.

There are so many levels to the thoughtful fashion lovers conundrum. In many respects the industry as it stands today could be viewed as a service to consumers (the common American, at best, is a constant consumer). The way "fashion" has become not only so accessible but so affordable seems like a good thing on a surface level investigation. Evens the playing field, if you will. Anyone who makes the fatal decision to look beyond the macro view of the fashion industry is only asking for trouble and heartbreak.

I'm sorry this is the story of how retail's hold on me dissolved and the thrill of shopping was lost. I wish I could tell you that fulfilling my dream of running a vintage shop where I found all the greatest items at insanely low prices and re-sold them for reasonably low prices was special for me, or even enjoyable. I would love to say that my work experience for successful and internationally regarded local clothing store Need Supply Co. taught me all the tricks of the trade, that this fashion laden lifestyle was exciting or fun or even in the slightest bit compelling. There could not be a farther truth. Six solid months at my first retail job left me disgustedly outraged, to say the least. There was no fulfillment in the job, none from the actual work, certainly not any comfort in what would happen after I finished my job, or where the work I was knee deep in had come from before it got to me.

I was thinking earlier about blogs, and how I could never commit myself to one. I started thinking about how there is a weird separation for me, between style and the fashion industry. Such a separation that I think I sometimes both puzzled and unduly enamored by combined lifestyle and fashion blogs. I think I am always fascinated when someone's particular style of dress reflects their actual lifestyleWhen bloggers, or other iconically stylish folks of history

No comments:

Post a Comment